05 December 2009

O'Dwyer interviews puzzling

I just watched two puzzling video interviews at propenmic.org with the legendary Jack O'Dwyer.

In one he talks about how PR deals with public. Correct, Jack. No arguments from me. But in another he talks about how PR people should only deal with journalists, in the same way lawyers only deal with lawyers.

Suddenly, I'm confused (by Jack). What the heck is he saying? Am I reading his comments incorrectly? It's a problem when someone as learned as this makes contradictory statements, particularly when it's on a web site for students.

He goes on to say PR should not be dabbling in social media. Well, I'm not sure Jack's been paying too much attention lately.

While I'd like to follow his approach, and just deal with journalists, it's a bit late to pull up the drawbridge. The "heathens" have already entered.


No comments: